- He was born into a middle-class movie enthusiast joint family of Prem Nagar in Gurugram.
- He was fond of music since his childhood and wanted to make a career in it. Moreover, when he was 16 years old, he auditioned for a dance reality show in Mumbai.
- He was born as “Raj Kumar Yadav,” but on the suggestion of her mother, based upon numerology, he changed it to “Rajkummar Rao.”
- He first met Patralekha at FTII but fell in love during the making of a short film. Later, she made her acting debut with him in ‘CityLights’ in 2014.
- He made his first Bollywood appearance as a “News Reader” in the film ‘Rann’ in 2010, starring Amitabh Bachchan and Paresh Rawal. For this role, he was paid around Rs. 3000.
- He got just Rs. 16,000 remunerations for his first film ‘Love Sex Aur Dhokha.’
- He did the film ‘Talaash’ in 2012 just to share the screen space with one of his inspirations, Aamir Khan.
- He played Vijay, a man who cancels his marriage with his fiancée. Rao's performance was well received.
After graduating from FTII, Rao spent the next year visiting studios and meeting casting directors. In 2010, he had his great luck when he was cast in Love Sex Aur Dhokha, after responding to an ad that mentioned that Dibakar Banerjee was looking for newcomers.
Rao then signed Ekta Kapoor's MMS Ragini in which he played a negative role. Both Love Sex Aur Dhokha and Ragini MMS were successful, and his performances in both films were appreciated. He also appeared in Shaitan of Bejoy Nambiar. Raja Sen of Rediff, while criticizing the film, distinguished his performance as "reliable reliable".
In 2012, Rao played a series of small but significant roles in such films as Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2, Chittagong and Talaash. Anurag Kashyap chose Rao for Gangs Of Wasseypur after seeing his performance in Love Sex Aur Dhokha. For the role of Shamshad Alam, he visited Wasseypur to perfect his character and his accent. However, the screen time of his character has been significantly reduced in the final script. Rao, who was eager to work with Anurag Kashyap, went ahead with the film .
In the critically acclaimed Chittagong, he described the role of freedom fighter Lokenath Bal. In Talaash, he played the role of a young officer of the character of Aamir Khan. Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN commented: "... Rajkumar Rao has just enough of a scene - in which he is just a spectator with a single line of dialogue - to show what a good actor can bring , even for a small part. "
In 2013, Rao played the role of Govind in the movie Kai Po Che!, Adaptation by Abhishek Kapoor of Chetan Bhagat's novel The Three Mistakes of My Life. The film was a commercial and critical success, and earned praise for the main performances. Saibal Chatterjee, of NDTV, said: "Raj Kumar Rao can not boast of being an erased man, lost in the" magic of numbers ", and he is an accomplished stage thief." Kai Po Che! with a leading role in the Shahid biopic, based on the life of killed lawyer and human rights activist Shahid Azmi.
Rao then starred in the adult comedy drama opposite Kangana Ranaut.Saibal Chatterjee wrote: "He brings a remarkable restraint to his interpretation of the conservative and disgusting city dweller who can not see beyond his nose. Rarely, an object of derision has resisted with as much intention as him." The film has been critically acclaimed and has been successful.