- He was an Indian actor who was best known for playing the role of ‘Manav Deshmukh’ in the television serial, “Pavitra Rishta.” He is also remembered for his performances in the films, Kai Po Che! (2013), M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story (2016), Kedarnath (2018), and Chhichhore (2019). Besides being an actor, he was also a model, dancer, and entrepreneur. Sushant was found dead on 14 June 2020 inside his Mumbai apartment.
- He had bought his first bike, a modified Honda CBR, with the savings from giving tuitions to engineering students.
- He moved to Mumbai to pursue his acting career. There, he joined Nadira Babbar’s theatre group, Ekjute, and did many plays for the group for two and a half years in 2005.
- He first came into the limelight by doing a TV commercial of Nestle Munch, which became very popular. Later, he appeared in the same advertisement in 2015 with a new flavour.
- He did Suddh Desi Romance (2013) alongside Parineeti Chopra. Reportedly, it was Shahid Kapoor who was the first choice in the film after Kai Po Che!
- He appeared in Rajkumar Hirani’s blockbuster film PK opposite Anushka Sharma. In the film, he played the role of ‘Sarfaraz’ in 2014.
- He was fascinated with the work of Nawazuddin Siddiqui and had often praised his acting skills.
- He was a passionate animal lover and had a pet dog, Fudge.
- He had his own website, selfmusing.com, where he loved to post his own quotes.
While studying at Delhi Technological University, Rajput enrolled in dance classes with Shiamak Davar. It was not until later that the idea of a career in acting came to him, as some of his classmates in dance classes were interested in drama and Barry John's drama class. Influenced by them, Rajput also joined the theater classes. Here, he found his passion for the game: "I found the liberating experience, I realized that I could communicate with the public, I knew I wanted to do it forever.
In 2008, Balaji Telefilms' casting team saw Rajput's personality and acting talent while on stage for one of Ekjute's pieces. They invited him to audition for them and Rajput won the role of Preet Juneja in Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil. His character was killed early in the show, but he was such a popular character to viewers that he was brought back to the series finale in the form of a spirit, looking like his famed family after going through difficult moments.
In June 2009, Rajput started playing in Pavitra Rishta as Manav Deshmukh, a serious and mature character working as a mechanic to help his family. His work in this series has received great appreciation, and Rajput has received three major television awards for Best Male Actor and Most Popular Actor. This performance was his breakthrough and gave him a stepping stone in the movies.
Rajput auditioned for Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Che! and was chosen to play one of the three tracks, with Rajkumar Rao and Amit Sadh. Based on Chetan Bhagat's novel The 3 Mistakes of My Life, the film proved to be a critical and commercial success. The Rajput performance of Ishaan Bhatt, a former cricket player at the district level who is a victim of politics in the cricket selection fraternity, was hailed.
The critic Rajeev Masand wrote: "... it is Sushant Singh Rajput, who makes his film debut as Isshaan, that it is difficult to look away." The actor has an indescribable presence and is clear of his trust and sympathy "
In 2016, Rajput appeared in Mr. Neeraj Pandey's biopic film, Mr.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story, starring indian cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni. The film was a critical and commercial success, becoming one of the most profitable Bollywood films of 2016. Rajput's performance was widely praised by critics and his representation of the cricketer was applauded even before the film's release .For his performance in the film, Rajput got his first nomination for the Best Actor Filmfare Award.In June 2017, Rajput appeared in Raabta of Dinesh Vijan, with Kriti Sanon.