- He was born to a Punjabi father from Bareilly (in Uttar Pradesh) and a Bengali mother from Delhi.
- His parents came to Mumbai in search of work and stayed in a garage.
- He was born in a stable next to the garage in Versova, where he parents used to stay.
- He started his career by assisting film director Harnam Singh Rawail in Sunghursh (1968) starring Dilip Kumar, Vyjayanthimala and Sanjeev Kumar.
- His debut directorial film Khudgarz (1987), was a big hit.
- His son Hrithik wasn’t the first choice for his film Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai (2000), instead, he wanted to sign Shah Rukh Khan for the film.
- His best friends in Bollywood are Jeetendra and Rishi Kapoor.
- He was not undertaken with the intention of killing, but to signal that Shiv Sena could no longer protect his clients.
Roshan began his career as an actor, making his debut in the 1970 film Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani, in which he got a supporting role. He has had very few solo hero films in his career. He earned solo hero roles in more female-themed films with a focus on heroin, such as Paraya Dhan with Hema Malini, Aankh Micholi with Bharati, Khubsoorat with Rekha and Kaamchor with Jaya Prada.
Aankhon Aankhon Mein with Rakhee, Nafrat with Yogita Bali, Ek Kunwari Ek Kunwara with Leena Chandavarkar, Hamari Bahu Alka with Bindiya Goswami and Shubh Kaamna with Rati Agnihotri. J. Om Prakash produces Ankhon Ankhon Mein with Rakesh in the lead. Later, J. Om Prakash directed Aakraman, with Sanjeev Kumar in the lead, and Rakesh in a supporting role, then produced Aakhir Kyun, with Rajesh Khanna in the lead and Rakesh in a supporting role.
Rakesh played supporting roles in some hit movies such as Man Mandir with Sanjeev Kumar in the lead, Khel Khel Mein with Rishi Kapoor in the lead, Bullet with Dev Anand as the hero, Hatyara with Vinod Khanna in the lead, Dhongee with Randhir Kapoor, Khandaan with Jeetendra and Neeyat with Shashi Kapoor as the main hero.
He regularly played supporting roles in films with Rajesh Khanna in the lead role and of those, Chalta Purza was a failure and the other three were blockbusters - Dhanwan, Awaaz and Aakhir Kyon. Devata, Shriman Shrimati and Hathkadi were the heroes of the first multi-star movie that had success between 1977 and 1986, with Sanjeev Kumar as the main hero and Jaag Utha Insan and Ek Aur Sikander, who had Mithun Chakraborty in the leading role, and other successes such as Dil Aur Deewaar, Khatta Meetha, Unees-Bees and Maqaar . Most of his other films as second heroes or solo hero films between 1973 and 1990 were flopped at the box office.
On January 21, 2000, two members of the Budesh gang shot Roshan near his office on Tilak Road in Santacruz West.The assailants fired two shots at him, one of which hit him on the left arm, while the other touched his chest. When the director fell to the ground, the attackers fled the scene.
The attackers were later identified as Sunil Vithal Gaikwad and Sachin Kamble. The attack on Roshan had blocked Budesh's claims for a percentage of the profits from the foreign sale of the Hindi blockbuster; Kaho Naa ... Pyaar Hai.